December 22, 2008
SANDWICH, Mass.—Sandwich police say a 62-year-old man has been found dead in his home, apparently the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a dead raccoon blocking his furnace exhaust.
The Cape Cod Times reports that police went to the man's home Sunday morning to perform a well-being check.
When they entered the home they found him dead. The fire department found high levels of carbon monoxide when it took readings inside the home.
The man's name was not immediately released.
Investigators found that a raccoon had crawled down the flue to the gas furnace and died, blocking the exhaust.
Officials say there were no carbon monoxide or smoke detectors in the home.
Information from: Cape Cod Times, http://www.capecodonline.com
© Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.